513 Salk Pavilion
335 Sutherland Drive
Charles Sfeir, DDS, PhD
Associate Professor, Departments of Periodontics and Preventive Dentistry, Oral Biology, and Bioengineering
Associate Dean for Research
Department Chair, Periodontics
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
Research interests are in both basic science as well as translational:
- Periodontal immune-modulation to develop a novel therapy to treat periodontal disease
- Developing magnesium based resorbable metals as bone fixation devices and membranes for periodontal regeneration
- Endodontic regeneration using decellelularized matrices
- Developing scaffolds for bone regeneration ((calcium phosphate based, elastomeric and scaffold-less)
- Molecular biology, signaling pathways for bone regeneration.
- Extensive knowledge of GLP processes. Quality control and quality assurance systems to perform high quality research with data integrity.
All above research areas require extensive use of bone assessment and mineral analyses. Our laboratory is a heavy user of the microCT and histology cores.
Technique Expertise or Resources to share
Developed GLP-like processes for the histology and microCT cores
Undecalcified processing of mineralized tissues
Bone, magnesium, regeneration, Wnt, calcium, polymer, host response, microbiome